Whale watching is a memorable and exciting adventure, especially for first time visitors. But before you decide to jump onboard a ship consider these guidelines and tips to make sure your tour is one of the most enjoyable trips you have ever encountered.
There are numerous questions you should ask before planning a trip. The following guidelines will help you along the way.
- What is the best time to book?
The most obvious answer to this question is on a warm, calm summers day. If you are not fond of high waves and rough, rainy conditions you should check the weather forecast and also the marine forecast before booking your whale watching trip.
Experienced skippers and their crew do not get seasick, but most will not go on a trip in adverse weather conditions, it is best to book your trip for a calm day during visible whale watching seasons.
- What if I encounter no whales during my trip?
It is best to check with companies in the area about current whale sightings, they will know about migration patterns and other important information. You must remember that whales are wild animals so no tour company can guarantee sightings. There is usually a complimentary ticket issued if you fail to see any whales during your trip.
- Can I do anything to prevent seasickness?
If you are not used to the ocean you may experience a bout of motion sickness, but this can be tackled by taking medicine and watching what you eat before you set sail. If you have gotten motion sickness on other forms of transport like airplanes it is advisable to take preventable measures.
Here are 8 Tips to Help Prevent Seasickness:
- Eat bland food and avoid anything that you know might upset your stomach.
- Stay away from alcohol the night before and the day of the trip.
- Avoid any drinks with high caffeine contents.
- Stay well hydrated and drink plenty of water.
- If you feel unwell, do not stay indoors or in the toilet. Head towards the back of the boat and get some fresh air.
- Try to find an area to sit where there is less motion, preferably in the middle of the vessel.
- Sit facing forward and focus on the horizon, avoid sitting with your back facing the direction you are travelling.
- If you are prone to motion sickness, but sure to purchase some over the counter medication and take before you embark on your trip.
- Which company should I use?
If you are planning to visit Sydney for whale watching tours there are several reputable companies in the city, the best way to find them is a quick search online. You should try to use a company with a trustworthy reputation and an experienced crew who have a passion for the animals they observe.
There are a number of things to consider before embarking on a trip of a lifetime, it is advisable to carry out a little research about whale watching practices and book an experienced company who can deliver a first-rate service.